teacher1209

Ramblings of a Random Reader

I read YA, historical romance and some contemporary romance. I'm a mom to an 18 yo college freshman and 15 yo high school freshman. I'm a teacher who's working on a masters degree in special education, a wife an 9 yr breast cancer survivor. I read to escape real life stress.

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science
Norman Doidge
Letter from a Rake - Sasha Cottman I loved this book!!! I was given this nook through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review and I have to say this is a wonderful book. set in London in 1817, it tells the story of Milicent (Millie) Ashton, whose family has just moved back to London from India. Millie's and her brother Charles were born in India and are trying to learn the ways of the ton. Millie is having a difficult time because she does not fit the mold of the proper English lady...she has curves, in other words she is more like a real woman. I found this to be a delightful change, but what was even better is that a Marquess, Alex Radley, fell for her and curves from the first time he laid eyes on her. Millie has a sense of humor, curses with best of them and does not titter and throw herself at Alex's feet like the rest of the eligible girls do, and Alex likes that.Another issue that I have not read about in any of the historical romance novels I have read is illiteracy among the ton. Alex is unable to read or write, he says "everything gets mixed up on the page." I believe he may be dyslexic. The family covers this 'shame' by not telling anyone and having Alex learn by rote memorization. Alex's inability to read and write is the root of the major conflict in the book, because of this, Alex has to decide if he will keep his secret from Millie and lose her forever or come clean and take the chance she may turn her back on him when she learns his secret.The author weave a tale that is intriguing, heartbreaking and believable. I could feel Millie and Alex's pain, she at the rejection by the ton because she is not a tiny waif, and he because of his inability to read and write, calling himself an idiot and a simpleton.David and Lucy, two of Alex's siblings, and Charles, Millie's brother are great secondary characters who the author has given just enough of a part in the story to get reader wanting each of them to have their own story. The epilogue leaves it open to take up a story with David, which I would definitely read.